Lehman College Credit for Attendance at Other Institutions

The following regulations apply to Lehman College matriculants who wish to attend other colleges or universities for Lehman College credit:

  • A student must have completed one semester of twelve credits at Lehman. To be assured full transfer credit, a student must (a) apply for an e-permit via the CUNY portal and (b) follow the procedures outlined on the permit, including obtaining departmental approval. No student will be given a permit for more than one semester of full-time study elsewhere, except in specified programs.
  • If a student does not obtain permission in advance, including departmental approval, transfer credit may be withheld. Grades of D earned outside the City University of New York are not transferable.
  • A student may not be enrolled simultaneously at Lehman College and another institution for more than the maximum number of credits under Lehman College rules.
  • A student who has completed half or more of the number of credits required for the Lehman College bachelor's degree may not receive credit for courses taken at a community college.
  • Work completed during summer sessions will not be credited beyond the established rate of work at Lehman College summer sessions.
  • To earn a Lehman College degree, a student must complete at least 30 credits in residence at Lehman College and at least half of the credits in the major and in the minor or in an interdisciplinary program. (See the definition of credits in residence in the section on "Degree Requirements" in this Bulletin under the heading of "Credit Requirements.")
  • A student is responsible for having transmitted to the College a record of all courses taken at a non-CUNY institution for Lehman credit while a matriculated student at the College. (Transcripts for CUNY permit courses will automatically be forwarded to the home college.)
  • With special permission, a student who has satisfied Lehman College residence requirements may attempt the final 21 credits at another accredited senior college or university, provided that all other requirements for graduation will have been satisfied. Students wishing to graduate in absentia must obtain permission from the Office of Academic Standards and Evaluation (Shuster 280).